Give your Salad some Sass!
It’s been another beautiful weekend and we have taken advantage of it to visit our land once again and explore the rest of what it has to offer.
But today, I just want to focus on some ideas for salad dressings that you can take a look at. With all the fresh produce available and the hot weather making it more difficult to turn on the oven, salads are the best quick meal for summer!
I searched some unique recipes for you which I will put in the following categories:
These salad dressings are perfect with some lettuce and some chopped almonds, or toasted walnuts, pecans or pistachios or enjoy over a fruit salad. Enjoy!
2) Raspberry Basil Dressing – It’s simple; just puree some raspberries with fresh basil, strain the pulp from the seed and add some pepper and maple syrup until you achieve the right consistency and taste.
Pair these dressing with a classic salad made with lettuce, carrots, celery, tomatoes, greens onions….the possibilities are endless!
1) Tahini-Miso Dressing – To use as a salad dressing simple add some water to the recipe I have linked!
2) Creamy Avocado Dressing – This also doubles up as a veggie dip too!
3) Tofu Ceasar Dressing – For a lighter protein packed version of a ceasar dressing, try this healthies alternative to ceasar dressing use silken tofu instead of extra mayonnaise (not a vegan recipe)
4) Homemade Mayonnaise – For an extra special treat!
As with creamy dressings, any veggie goes with vinaigrettes. Or you can get extra fancy and spiralize some veggies (I use the Vegetti Spiral Vegetable Cutter from Bed Bath and Beyond) to drizzle with vinagrette insead of using lettuce as a base
2) Garlic Confit Vinagrette – This dressing looks amazing! Basically you heat up the oil with garlic in it to infuse some flavour in the oil and use the cooked garlic for some added flavour in the vinagrette. You can even use the garlic infused oil for dipping bread if you have any left over!
3) The Basics of Making a Vinagrette – So you can make your own vinagrettes!
And to finish, I’ll leave you with my favourite new salad: Spiralized zucchini with fresh parmesan, basil and tomatoes
Ingredients (Serves two as a main or four as an appetizer)
-1 zucchini, spiralized
-1 ripe tomato, diced
-2 cloves of garlic, minced
-1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
-4 tbsp greshly grated parmesan
-4 tbsp olive oil
Instructions: Combine the spiralized zucchini with the diced tomatoes and basil. In a separate bowl mince garlic, and add olive oil. Drizzle dressing onto salad and toss to coat. Before serving, sprinkle with the parmesan and enjoy!